View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
I guess I really want to know if you agree that the lead should always "know" if it is a 3 or a 2 when shot from the corner. If so, why? If not, why?
I don't agree, b/c when I work 3-whistle, it's almost always NCAA men's games. That's what I'm used to and I think they make a lot of sense.

If you can see the foot location with your peripheral vision, that's great. But if you can't, then I don't think it makes a lot of sense for you to divert your attention from the post where 2-6 players are about to jockey for position.

If you work pro mechanics or NCAA women's mechanics (which amount to almost exactly the same thing), then you're told that the Lead has responsibility for the 3-point shot in his/her corner. I think that's dumb, personally. It requires 2 people to shift their field of vision (Lead shifts to corner, Trail shifts to post), instead of just one person (Trail shifts to corner, Lead remains with post). But that's how they do it.

In any case, as I said, if you can see it without shifting your field of vision, great. If not, let the Trail handle it and don't worry about it.