View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm...

Joel.....
While it is hard to argue a successful solution to a problem, I personally would have gone directly to the official, in a timely fashion, after the game. Color me confrontational, but I just prefer to address perceived errors directly.
Like a lot of us have found, not all written sitch's posted are interpreted the way we had intended them to be. This creates a dialog.
Going through a third party can open yourself up to being misinterpreted along the rule itself (That comes from a family member working for a local newspaper too long).
It sounded to me, from your thread, that you personally have never interfaced with this individual before on rule interpretations but had heard "Our UIC once told me that he had darn near given up on him.....because he won't accept corrections........" Bringing it to his attention personally would have allowed the dialog to occur between you, who personally witnessed the rule misinterpretation and him, the official that applied rule incorrectly.
I'd like to think that any official worth his salt, would recognize that you are mentioning this error as a fellow official and not a dad.
Then again if he does take it personal....
Anyway that's my $.02 worth!
BTW I like that rule and will have to ask if we are implementing it for our youngsters locally! Thanks for the tip! (And I hope I haven't already missed it.)

Chuck