View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Judgment calls are those that involve adv/disadv. This is not one of these calls. [/B][/QUOTE]I signal 3 on a shot taken in my area of responsibility. You do the oh-no-no-no and signal that it's really a 2. I still freaking think that's it IS REALLY a 3- IN MY JUDGEMENT.

Now whatinthehell do we do? [/B][/QUOTE]

If you pregamed it as the fed advises in their bulletin you would begin the game with the understanding that the person who sees a foot on the line is by definiton correct.

That's whatinthehell we do. [/B][/QUOTE]And the official who didn't see a foot on the line, and is also 100% sure that he didn't see that foot on the line, and to top it all off, it's his call in the first place and no one elses, is now by definition incorrect?

The problem is that I would never dream of pre-gaming it the way that the FED advises. If you call OOB off of white, but I see a tip by blue, do I just say "Nope, white ball" and head the other way expecting you to let blue take a throw-in? If a dribbler steps on a line(your line in your area), and you call them OOB, does that mean that I can say- "nope, I didn't see them step on the line. It's still the dribbler's ball" and expect you to immediately give the ball back to the dribbler's team? There's no difference in doing any of this than also taking over a 2/3 point call. You're just substituting your judgement for your partner's, without bothering to check with them first.

Of course, somewhere along the line, maybe someone should point out to the goober in Fedlandia that came up with this little procedure that there already exists these funny little RULES in the damn book - i.e. R2-6- that says "No official has the authority to set aside or question decisions made by the other official(s) within the limits of their respective outlined duties" and R2-7-8(OFFICIALS DUTIES) -"signaling a 3-point goal...".