View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Jurrasic you should get a kick out of this.

I swear some of the garbage they put in these "Guides" is terrible... terrible advice. Listen to this "specific procedure for getting the call right."

Article talking about staying with the shooter ...
"Changing the call. If one official signals a successful three-point attempt and the other official is certain that the shooter was on or inside the three-point arc, there's a specific procedure for getting the call right.

The correcting official should stop the clock, signal a two-point attempt and simultaneously verbalize that the shooter's foot was on or over the three-point arc. There's no need to huddle together with your partners to confer. If you clearly saw the play, there's nothing to talk about. Getting together adds confusion. Stopping the clock and signaling immediately gets the game going quickly and smoothly.

Discuss changing successful three-point field goals in your pregame conference with your partners.

... I'm thinking you might want to discuss which of you are going to finish the game because I'm not gong to be working with you after that. If there is anything to discuss in your pregame it should be who is responsible for what portions of the three-point arc and ONLY ONE OF YOU MAKE THE CALL.

"Say partner, if you mess up a three-point attempt (and I'm gonna be watchin' you to make sure you do it correctly), I'm just gonna stop the clock, correct your mistake for you (in front of a packed gym, the coaches, players, everybody, we'll probably be on TV too), you bring the ball in and we'll get going again. I don't want to cover your butt too many times so don't let it happen very often. Hey, have a great game."

Ouch! I'm thinking "Where's my role of duct tape? You're staying in the lockeroom buddy, I mean partner."