View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Quote:
Part of the quote from ozzy6900

Pete Booth
At one time, we were respected for making a decision and sticking to it.

The game was designed for us to make the call as we saw the play. It was never designed for "getting together" to make a decision. There are only a handful of things that we are supposed to "get together" for and very few of those things are for rendering calls. The game was never designed for instant replay either. And on the subject of instant replay, where will it end? Home runs, interference calls, obstruction, pitches, tags, catches? They all warrant "instant replay".

Let's get realistic here, people. There is entirely too much "huddling" to get a call "right" and too much pissing and moaning. None of these ideas will help the game. Oh in the short term, everyone will think that it is good because we finally get the call "right". But in the long run, we will be taking away from the game the most important element - "the decision of the umpire is final!"

[Edited by ozzy6900 on Oct 12th, 2004 at 07:32 AM] [/B]
I will adress them point for point.

1) Who exactly respected our decision to stick with the call made. The player or coach that got robbed? ...or was it other umpires? This argument is simply not true. Being hard headed when you are wrong is a character flaw, not an ideal to which we aspire.

2) Which sport was designed for instant replay? Since most participatory games evolved a century ago or more, instant replay or television coverage was as far fetched a dream as could be imagined. Again, a weak point of contention, since all games evolve. This evolution involves mega stadiums (not envisioned when the games were created earlier), public gambling on everything from the coin flip to the final score, millionaire contestants that never learned the rules and television coverage. The scrutiny is there because so much is at risk.

3) Your rallying cry for abandoning the call "to get it right" is misguided, at best. Because so much import is given to the outcome of an at-bat, let alone the score, umpires are in the firing line on every call. Yes, multiple camera angles show the fan what happened. We don't have that luxury to stop and evaluate tape prior to making the call. But, we are better trained than the average fan and know the rules far better than the average player. We can and do see the nuances that help sell a call. We can rely on our partners for assisting us on calls already (swipe tag, pulled foot, check swing, foul ball in the box, contacting the ball out of the box, etc.) This has turned into a contest of tradition/ego and natural evolution.

The professional team owners hold players accountable for their mistakes. The league expects the same from the officials. The bottom line in all of this is to get the call right, at almost any cost. Are we ever going to see the banger at first over-ruled? I don't think so. But, we will be expected to seek help on the calls we've discussed, ad nauseum. We can do something about those kicked calls and should. Why do you umpire? I can't believe that you do it for the power trip alluded to earlier. I don't do this for the respect or admiration of the fans. I get a deep satisfaction in ensuring that the game is played correctly. I live for seeing the no-hitter, triple play or cycle. I can't recall walking off the field and having a fan come up to me and ask where I was working next. (Well, maybe they asked in hopes that it wouldn't be at their park again!)

Recognizing that we enable the game and aren't the focus is a tremendous step in the evolutionary process. Umpires used to wear suits and ties on the field, but were pummeled for making the wrong call. Now, we've got professional umpires making $300,000 a year, flying first class and working at camps and clinics. They've become more visible and because of the remuneration they receive, others are standing in line for the job. We love to knock the guy who is working the big game. We point out their errors and criticize the mechanics. It's become part of our nature. I've alwasy believed that if you want teh glory, you need to accept the misery. In other words, if you take the check, earn the money! Looking bad, but getting the call right is part of the modern job description. [/B][/QUOTE]
The game has been played for decades without the aid of huddling and instant replay. But I see that I am being "old fashioned" and hard headed. Yes, I am hard headed about umpiring. The players do their jobs and I have to do mine. I expect the best out of them and they expect the best out of me. Of course, I cannot please both sides - 50% of the people will disagree with me everytime! That's part of the game. I do not agree with or will condone huddling for ecvery damn call like many of you do. That's just not what the game is all about. You have to work at the game to get things right. Just like it has been done for decades! If the rest of you want to "huddle up" that's fine. I won't! I will not support instant replays unless there is a time limit put on games - and when you do that, I'm done with the sport.