View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by jprideaux
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I would go one step further. I would get rid of the off-side rule completely. It does nothing for the game except to protect a team whose defense has been beaten by the offense.

MTD, Sr.
Except, of course, for coaches who like to use the offside rule to keep the offense pushed out. My players work hard on keeping their line. It's not their fault that the offense can't count to two !

John

John:

I have to disagree with you. It is not hard to hold a line. But it is good defense to guard another player. As Cecil said in an earlier post, doing away with offsides would go against something the ancient gods of soccer would abhor. But I think that the offsides rule is out-dated and will eventually go the way of rotary dial telephone. I only hope that I will live to see the demise of the three-second violation in basketball.

MTD, Sr.
OTOH, it's really easy to play offense when you can get in behind the defense whenever you want. Eliminating the offside rule would result in a large increase in garbage goals collected by big, strong players who just camp out in front of the goal waiting for the ball to come to them (which is pretty much what the three-second rule in basketball was designed to prevent). If you want lots of goals, get rid of offside. But I think you would be trading quality of goals for quantity.

John