View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 01:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've read enough about the illegal pass to the guy in the endzone. So I thought I'd post some plays that really happened to me on Friday night and leave out the way we handled/enforced them.

(1) Running play that gained about 12 yards. On the line, U throws a flag for defensive holding -- defensive lineman figured the best way to get off a block was to grab two hands of jersey and throw the offensive lineman down. Enforce the penalty according to NF rules.

Interesting thing about this -- after the drive that resulted in a touchdown, a captain informed me that the head coach wanted to talk to me about this. Being a generally approachable guy, I went over and the coach was IRATE -- he told me that a defender can do anything he wants to get off a block. At this point I realized that I wasn't going to get anywhere, so I repeated what the foul was and headed back to the goal line for the kickoff.

As I was running back, I heard the coach yell, "I've been coaching for SEVEN years and I've never heard of such a thing!" If you're going to use something like that, you'd think you'd wait until the number was a bit higher than SEVEN. The team probably won't win a game this season, but it's only their second year playing -- previously they were part of a coop.

(2) Kickoff. Visiting team kicker kicked 5 of 7 kickoffs for touchbacks, BTW. On this kick, the ball bounced at about the five yard line and skipped into the endzone. I'm signalling the touchback, when the back judge comes up to me and says he hays a five yard face mask somewhere near midfield. Enforce the penalty.

We were back to short sleeves on Friday night -- week 7 in Wisconsin and we were in short sleeves. Amazing. Just the week before I was putting anything on I could find.

--Rich