View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Brandan,

If you are looking for opinions about your officiating, look to other officials and the video tape of the contest.

There are coaches I respect and will, away from the game or any contest, discuss situations, philosphy, and coaching techniques ( hey, they are giving me their opinion of my job....I'm more than happy to return the favor ), but I use a coaches input as a way to better my communication with other coaches and personalities during contests.

You are not there to make anyone happy, and EVERY time down the floor, depending on the contests loCation, 80% of the people there will think your call/no call was fantastic, and the others will think you suck donkey ( V-chip Experlative )....and vice versa.

Review the tape with your partner, and again with your mentor or someone "higher up" whom you respect. Become a student of the game, and look for ways to improve yourself as an official anytime you take an assignment...even scrimmages and mens league.

The most important advice this official can give you was learned the hard way in the beginning: LISTEN TO WHAT OTHER OFFICIALS SAY WHEN THEY OFFER YOU ADVICE!! If you do not want to implement what they are telling you into your game, thats your decision. But if you refuse to listen, even to the "idiot" official, the educated official may see this and believe giving you advice is a waste of time.

Savaahn Ty
" Just a student of the game, always looking to improve"