View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Bob has pointed out the main point to remember regarding false starts. NO player may make a move that simulates the start of the play. The provision that allows some players to move and then reset does not extend to movements that be used at the start of a play. ie: the WR moving forward.

Then there is the legal movement that got me yelled at for most of a game last night. Tailback would often start a 1/2 count early, but with a sideways step. No forward movement. No one else in motion. After the snap he would head toward the line.
Now as an old defensive lineman I used to love to see this kind of thing. Let me know when the ball was going to be snapped. And with my speed (lack of), I needed all the help I could get.
But this defensive coach was screaming until I had a chance to talk to him during a T.O in the 4th quarter. 1. about the rules, 2. about why he was complaining that the back was tipping of the snap.
He got the funniest look on his face, like a new concept was trying to work it's way into the old rock.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!