View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 29, 2001, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

I find this to be a unique situation. As I see it we have here Carl and Warren who both disagree with this PBUC interpretation. Both can’t figure out from what direction this call comes. Warren says If the league is playing by OBR then by dern I’m acallin it (even if I disagree and can’t find any thing in any book(s) about it). Carl on the other hand who doesn’t agree with the interpretation defends PBUC’s right to make the call but assures us all he’d never make the call nor would he recommend we do. Yet Carl with his vast rules knowledge doesn’t know where the rule comes from.

Now that I’ve p!ssed you gentlemen off completely please continue with me, then you may loose your Wrath upon me.

When this play was first brought to my attention, by JJ I was with you. I mean to say “ You gotta be kidding me they can’t call that.” Then the more you explained why this play was so bogus, the more
I wanted to know from what direction it came.

The difference in our approaches is that rather than trying to prove that no rule matched and PBUC is wrong. I chose look for the positive and try to find PBUC to be right.

I’m sure that no amount of typing can ever convince either of you that this is a good ruling. I’m sure not the one to even try. So I’ll just put it this way.

When Carl recently brought the ruling forth I said to myself I’d never make that call. I’m always in enough trouble as it is why bring on a firestorm on purpose. If I can’t explain my support for a call I sure as hell better not make it. And “because PBUC said so” just ain’t cutting it.

Rule 4.09(b) is enough. It tells me the B/R has got to run it out. It tells me the penalty if he doesn’t. Now then the odds of this situation ever coming to pass is not something I’d care to bet on. But should it ever happen on a field I’m working I know how to handle it. IF I WOULD CHOSE TO UNLEASE THIS FIRESTORM because you can sure a hell bet no coach knows of this interpretation, if Carl didn’t know about it.

BTW—As the FED bases their rules on the OBR I’m thinken what been posted by the opposition just might be correct. The think the Fed is saying the B/R has got to run it out.

rex