View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Atl, if the batter makes contact with the ball when his foot is outside the box or on the plate, we have a dead ball, batter out. If R3 is stealing home, we have to send him back to third.

Correct, if he was attempting to hit the pitch. If he was not attempting to hit the pitch but trying to interfere with the catcher, it's still INT, and the runner is out, assuming less than 2 outs.

If batter throws bat at ball and makes contact and his foot was outside or in contact with plate when bat LEFT HIS HAND, then we have a dead ball out on batter, runner back to third.

While I am not saying you are wrong (I have not researched this), I don't know that this is right either. What do you have to back up the "when it left his hand" part of the statement? The rule says if the batter makes contact with the ball while his foot is on the ground completely outside the batter's box he is out. It says nothing about "when the bat left his hand". If you have supporting evidence for this, let me know, I love to learn.

I believe that hitting the ball while out of the box would take precedence IF it occurred while the batter was making an attempt to hit the ball (i.e., over or in front of the plate) as it would occur before any possible INT. But again, if the batter is NOT making an attempt to hit the ball, but is throwing the bat at the catcher (i.e., behind the plate), contact or not, that's INT, and with less than two outs, the runner is out.