View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to DDonnelly19 Send a message via AIM to DDonnelly19 Send a message via Yahoo to DDonnelly19
Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007

I see that Willson is STILL choosing to ignore Authoritative Opinion and Official Interpretations and is involved in counter-productive banter. Perhaps someone should alert the other guy that this is one of the factors determining that an umpire is a neo-romanticist. HIS rath should be visited upon Willson as it is to others that take this same position. A house divided...
You apparently neglected to read one of Warren's previous posts; when I asked him whether his personal opinions on the issue would affect the way he calls it on the field, this is how he responded:

Quote:
Absent a direction from my Assignor or my league to the contrary, I would feel obliged to call the play the way the PBUC ruling demands and so allow the 4th out. My job as an official doesn't require me to "like" the rules I'm expected to enforce. PBUC Official Interpretations ARE the rules, at least in my league.
Again, there's nothing wrong with having an opinion on how the game should be played -- 15" or 10" mounds, advantageous 4th outs, designated hitters, etc. The men choose to leave their personal opinions at the gate and call the game the way we're paid to call; the boys carry their opinions on the field and continue ignore official interpretations and authoritative opinion and try to force their values and opinions on someone else's time.

Just doing my job,
Dennis