Thread: Blown Call
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

For what it is worth... here is what I learned along time ago.

I was working LG in a youth championship game in the late 1970's. The BJ and U were 2 officials I really admired.

The BJ and I converged on a pass play between us. I thought the defender broke up the play legally. The BJ called Defensive pass interference. I thought he was clearly wrong. At half time the U told him "great call, I turned just in time to see it" (He was turning to help with catch/trap call). Different angles create different views. I no longer question other crewmates view of what they saw.

Think about that next Sunday while watching the NFL. TV will provide 7 different views , some of which will show the foul (or the catch, or fumble, or OB etc)while others won't!

About experience: Me 30 Yrs, 27 Varsity, state championship in Giants stadium twice. Last week in youth game: 1st yr official with playing experience called no foul on crutical 4th down play. Coach on his sideline wanted DPI and called time out for conference with me as the referee. I told him "no foul. The covering official ruled it to be clean. It is a judgement call". The new guy was standing there ready to explain if I asked. I didn't until after the game, then I asked for training purposes. He was right on! The pass was low and between both players and they both dove for it, creating minor contact. No foul in his judgement. I didn't see any of the play but I'll bet he was correct.

Respect your crew mates and remember, if your both in the same spot on the field and have the same view, somebody goofed. If we all stayed together they wouldn't need 5 of us!