Thread: Blown Call
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
I want to add my two cents. If we go to another official with an "I think", we might as well just quit right there. We aren't doing anything to get the call right.

However, if we can go to an official and say, "I am 100% certain of what I saw, what did you see?" then we should go to the calling official and let him change his call if he wants. I'm not changing it for him but I am giving him information to allow the calling official to change it.

I do believe that we should "get it right" but only when we can offer 100% assurance of what we saw. And yes, I've seen NFL crews do this on occasion.

Mike makes a good point about talking it over and getting it "right."

I was BJ on a varsity game a couple of weeks ago. I have been with this crew for three years. The white hat is over 60 and set in his ways. The U had a holding call on the offense near the LOS and the end of the run was behind it since the running back was stuffed in the backfield. The R marked off the penalty from the spot of the foul. I told the U that was wrong but he never relayed it to the R. We talked about it at half-time and realized it was administered wrong. I think every crew should have an understanding that everyone will be listened to if they have a concern and not rush through the penalty administration. I have white-hatted a lot and I think I know what I am doing out there. As a matter of fact, the R sometimes asks me what signal to use in reporting fouls.

Crews should be open to what a crew member has to add to a situation.