Thread: Appeals
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Why is that appeals give coaches fits?

I was calling in a local organization's Rec league opening day this past weekend (big fair, fund raisers, good time had by all, etc.) and during one of the games, the big hitter for one of the teams hammered one for an inside the park homer (with runners on base).

She missed first clean as day, so I was ready for when the appeal came. Not a peep from the defense.......UNTIL the 1/2 inning ended.

One of the coaches approached me (it was a 1 umpire game) and said......."blue.....on that home run.....the batter missed first"?.....in the form of a question.

I told him........"yup coach......she sure did".

He asked me how he should question that during a game......

I told him that I had seen it and expected an appeal.....He then told me that he kept his mouth shut because he was not sure how to appeal that.......

I told him the basics of a live or dead ball appeal and to read the POE #1 in the ASA book (he acknowledged he did receive his book).

I told him that he would be well ahead of the game if he read the entire POE section.........and taught his players how to excecute a proper appeal.

There has to be a jillion times I have expected appeals for missed bases to only be disappointed when they don't come.

Do ya'll run into this too......or is this just a phenomenon of youth ball. I have had this come up in high level "A" ball too........coaches and players not knowing how to appeal.........just curious.

Joel