View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 09:19pm
In Memoriam

Arrow Re: Re: New rule last year. Well kind of.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
This was an old rule that was scratched. Then they brought it back last year as a new rule. Not sure when they originally got rid of it. I am sure JR can tell us. I have yet to have this rule implemented (this rule was not in place when I first started). Maybe this season will be the first.

This one was kind of a weird one. I know that it was in the rulebook about 20/30 years ago with similar language, and they even had a casebook play on it back then detailing the procedure(line 'em up like a jump ball in the closest circle to where the throw-in/FT was). I don't think that they ever scratched the rule officially. It just seemed to disappear from the book about the same time that we went from actual jump balls to the AP. The story I heard was that the FED didn't realize until a few years ago that they had mistakenly deleted that language, and that when they did remember, they just put the language and procedure back in. I think that during that period when the language was gone, a lot of trainers across the country were still telling their guys to honor a request for a line-up if 3 or more subs from one team came in- even though the language had disappeared.

Works for me, JR.

But, I find this interpretation to be conflicting with the MTD, Sr. philosophy that goes something like:
  • If a rule is not specifically deleted, then the rule remains alive.

Perhaps there is a Fed philosophy that the Fed has forgotten.
    mick