Thread: "Flopping"
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 03:23pm
In Memoriam

Re: Let 'em know you know

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
You can help yourself on this one by giving the flopper a visible "get up" signal. It lets everybody know that you didn't just pass on it or choke, but deliberately no-called it because you think he flopped. The flopper sees it, the coach sees it, his teammates see it. It can get the point across without saying a word.
Personally, I don't agree with that philosophy at the high school level. Signals like that can also thoroughly piss off the coach of the flopper. He might view that play completely differently than you, and think maybe that you're making his player look bad. I think that you're much better off on these flops to either make a call, or if you're gonna no-call it and you thought that the player flopped, warn him and maybe mention that warning to his coach when you get a chance.

I remember seeing this type of play once, when it happened in the transition zone to a 2-man crew, and just as one official started his "get-up" signal, his partner called a late charge. Two "T"s later.......