Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Also, never agree with anyone either just because they've been around for a while. That one might end up getting you in real deep doo-doo sometime. Always make up your own mind and trust your own judgement.
So your experiences at a wide range of levels should be respectable, and a good foundation for your authority.
Lah me, thanks for the kind words, but I honestly still don't think that anyone's resume should really be taken into account when you're gauging the worth of their words. That was my point. And this play is a good example of that. Whether you're in the "toss him" or "just T him" camp, it's still ends up as being your call- and you should be comfortable with that call after you've made it.
Woody --

Here's my problem with what you're saying. As a learner, I need to watch others and see what works for them. This gives me a feel for what I'm working toward. If I just went by what "I feel comfortable with", I'd have been thrown out of the whole gig a long time ago. And when I see some others who are "just calling it the way they see it", I think THEY should "retire"! I don't want to just stubbornly do it my way, regardless. On the other hand, there is a LOT of judgement involved in basketball officiating, and a ref HAS to feel comfortable with their own calls and game. But that "personal game" has to be within the bounds of the overall community. When someone is an assignor, has done lots of college, lots of hs play-offs, lots of interesting and challenging work, that someone's opinion weighs a lot more in how I adjust my game to conform to the overall basketball community. And that's how it should be. I think. If you say, it's a judgement call, and you have to go with what feels right at the time, I understand what that means, and I try to see the situation that way. But if you had said, this is never an ejection situation, I'd adjust my thinking, too, based on my inexperience, and your background. I think that's a reasonable way for me (and others!) to grow and learn, especially when we choose carefully to whom we give that kind of authority. I'm not saying this to flatter you. Would it make better sense if I used a different example? Go back and read the whole thing again with rockyroad as the authority. He's someone who's helped me a lot, by telling me how to do things based on his experience and background. And it has been great for me to adjust my game to fit into his teaching. "Feeling comfortable with my own game" is more possible when ceratin others agree that my own game is acceptable.
I'm not Woody, I don't even play someone named Woody on TV. But I have a dog named Woody so I feel qualified to answer.

STOP IT!!!!! The guy is trying to tell you that it's a judgement call. A judgement call means a judgement call. You wanna toss the coach in this play? Fine! Toss his @ss and proudly live with it! If someone questions you about it just say "Sh!t yeah I tossed him!" and move on with your life. If an assignor is stupid enough to fire you for it then to hell with him.

Just stop trying to walk some fine line that does not exist.

NY just went up 1-0 BTW, so we'll be OK.