Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
making a travesty of the game!!! unsportsman like conduct....ejected...
As I pointed out earlier, j, making a travesty of the game is grounds for forfeit, not ejection.
Okay, then, put it under Rule 2.3.
Aaaaargh!
One of my pet peeves rears it's ugly head. R2-3 is in the book to cover anything that might come up that isn't already covered in the rules. I've never run into a situation yet where the use of R2-3 was necessary, and I can't remember hearing about any either; there always was some language available that seemed to fit, or that you could make fit.

This play is clearly already covered under R10-4-1--i.e. it's a T for a coach to commit an unsporting act. The FED left the definition of an "unsporting act" open so that the calling official could use his own judgement as to whether something that happened was actually unsporting or not in his opinion, if it wasn't specifically listed. The FED also left it up to the calling official to judge whether that unsporting act was of a flagrant nature or not also. Iow, wnen all is said and done on this play, whether the coach gets a regular ol' T or a flagrant T is strictly a judgement call by the calling official.
Woody, I respect your experience, and judgment, and if you say it's a judgement call, it must be a judgement call. Can I make the judgement right now, and save a little time?
No!

Also, never agree with anyone either just because they've been around for a while. That one might end up getting you in real deep doo-doo sometime. Always make up your own mind and trust your own judgement.

The only point that I was trying to make, Juules, was that this play was already covered and that R2-3 is (very) rarely needed. If you've personally made your mind up as to how a situation like this should be called, then you're making the right call in your own mind anyway. Well, that's all she wrote right there, podner, imo. I'm not about to second-guess anybody on calls like this, whether they happen to be on one side of the "ejection" argument or the other.. Everybody sets their own line on T's anyway. It's one call that probably will never really get standardized, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either imo. As long as the game is called evenly and kept under control, then I don't think that anyone should ever really b*tch about the officiating.