Thread: Field Goal IW?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

last night I blew my first IW . Jr. High action. 4 man crew. I was linesman. A4 wideout goes down about 12 yards . While the ball is in the air B4 pulls A4 by the jersey and prevents him from moving toward the ball. I flag B4 and after the ball passes both players but before it hits the ground I blow the whistle. The WH asked me what I have . I tell him pass interfence on B4 . I also told him I had an IW as I blew before the ball was dead. He told me that he saw and heard but since the foul was in front of B's bench and B's coach saw the foul we would administer the penalty and ignore the IW . After the game I was explaining my embarrassment. I could not believe I actualy did it and how easy is was. I guess since the foul was so obvious, and I knew the A team would take the penalty my brain said blow.... The WH told me if the B team coach would have pushed the issue , he would have replayed the down. I told him because of the flag and subsequent acceptance of the penalty , the IW is ignored . Although I was wrong to blow, I lucked out because of the penalty. Both the WH and U told me I was wrong. I maintained my position that we got it right on the field .