View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:52pm
We don't rent pigs

I stopped at the local high school last week and watched practice for a little while. Varsity boys were doing a drill: rebound, outlet, fill the lane, pull up top of the key, hit the cutter for a layup. I was only half watching at first while talking to someone, but it caught my eye anyway. travel.....travel......travel Finally I watched while the whole team went one time through this drill. Twelve guys involved,(six pairs) six trips down the court, five travels. A couple were marginal, perhaps, but I feel sure that I would have called at least three. Finally I heard the coach tell one guy to "keep your feet quiet" when you make the pass. I know this was only a drill but I feel you play like you practice. Most of this shuffling, etc. I feel is the result of more and more "inconsequential" travels not being called the last few years. Do some of us here have a policy, perhaps unwritten and unspoken, of applying advantage/disadvantage to violations in general and traveling very much in particular. The problem as I see it is the same as many other areas on and off the court: The more you give them, the more they will take.

Lonesome Dove