View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Did a game this weekend with an official who, for most all aspects, I thought was a great guy to work with. The only thing I found that I didn't like about him was that, during just about what seemed every shot, he'd 'brush' his hands together to signal a 'tip' and no foul. Now when I say every shot, it was in fact just about on every shot...especially in the paint....even when he's trail! Now my point is that sometimes it made it hard for me to call fouls because he's out there (20 ft. away) signaling tipped ball with his hands, and I'm calling it a foul. I thought that it may have looked bad from a fan's/coach's perspective that the officials are in dissagreement on so many of the calls. Do any of you use the 'brush-the-hands' technique? With what regularity? Are there better ways than others to approach a partner and discuss this with him/her?
I am eliminating this from my game altogether for this very reason. I used to use that signal but got in trouble when a coach said, "But Lead signaled it was clean!!"

If I need to communicate a tip to Lead, I will do so when the ball goes OOB.

Good post!