Thread: My timeout....
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The Rules Committee specificially stated in the editorial revision that the dropping of the sentence allowing the game officials to stop the game so that a player could tie his shoes was to prohibit the official from stopping the game for such a purpose.

The dropping of a sentence from a rule is a rule change. A change stays in effect until the rule is changed or an interpretation changes it; it does not matter whether the rule was changed in 1943 or 1983. Plays get dropped from the every year but that does not mean that the cease to exist. Until a rule is changed that would affect a casebook play it still is valid. While not everyone may have access to the 1962-63 rule book or the 1942-43 or 1982-83 rule books for that matter, officials have a wealth of information at the disposal.

I refered to the NFHS Basketball Handbook as one of two sources for the shoe lace time out problem. In the current Handbook on page 13, Year 1963, it specifically states no time is allowed to tie a shoe lace.

To say that since the we do not know about the rule change that was made in 1962-63 means that we do not have to abide by that rule change is incorrect. And we cannot use the Elastic Power clause which is R2-S3 in both NCAA and NFHS rule books.

In summary, in 1962-63 the rule was changed to not allow officials to grant themselves time outs so that a player could tie his shoe. The Rules Committe did this by deleting a sentence in Rule Two and gave the reason for this in an editorial comment. Therefore, the Rules Committee's decision still stands until the NHFS and NCAA change the rule.
Mark,
I agree with your reasoning, but I do not know that rule.
As noted above, ...somewhere, I have taken to "not calling a play stoppage" due to this forum's influence.
If it was, in fact, actually written, how do we relay such information to new officials?
If there are many more of these "un-determinations", then the continuity of understanding and enforcement of the rules has a major schism which should somehow be addressed.

And further, What grade were you in when the rule was "mediated"? Fifth? Seventh? And how the heck did you find it. I'm impressed.

mick