Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I would think there'd be a difference depending on which way the "screener" is facing. If he's toward the defender head-on, that's one thing. Sideways to incoming player would be entirely different. On the other hand, if he's just standing there picking his nose, so to speak, I'd have a hard time calling him for any contact which may occur.

By rule, which way the screener is facing can't be a factor. R4-39-2 says that the screener can legally face any direction. To have a legal screen though, any contact should be on the screener's torso- not on a screener's extended appendages, which includes arms, legs, butts, heads, etc.
If we want to go by the technical definition of just the torso, then wouldn't contact in the back be a foul by the screener?

Sometimes a crouch is a legitimate defensive posture - especially if the defender is attacking the ball. Unless the defender is purposely sticking his/her rear out into traffic, I'm going to have a hard time calling that defender for a foul on the contact.
The torso is the trunk of the body. That is the neck to the waist front and back.
I've always considered the torso to be limited to the front of the body. To each his own.