Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
We've argued about this before, but I'm sure I'm right. If a dribbler steps out of bounds while moving up the court, even if he never touches the ball while he has oob status, it's a violation. But I would contend that he's not touching the ball while his foot is out of bounds, AND THEN DOESN"T TOUCH THE BALL AGAIN AT ALL, it would not be a violation. I know others dont agree, but when I see this, I"m not blowing the whistle until he touches the ball after being momentarily oob. If he doesn't touch the ball again, it looks like a violation, but it's not.
It's not an interrupted dribble until the ball gets away. If the ball is not away BEFORE they step OOB it's a violation.

The dribble or player control must end BEFORE they step out.

I don't believe that Juulie mentioned an interrupted dribble anywhere in her post. She referred to a player stepping on an OOB line while dribbling, but not actually touching the ball. Now, if that player stopped dribbling before he/she touched the ball again, how can he/she still be considered the dribbler? The note in R9-3 applies to a dribbler only, doesn't it?

We've gone around and around on this one before, and still never reached a consensus. The play is just not definitively covered.
What's not clear?

9-3 NOTE: The dribbler HAS committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even if he/she IS NOT touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

It does not get any clearer than that JR.