View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Saturday evening I had the opportunity and I took it to work a game with a 29 year veteran. This fella works playoffs for both basketball and baseball and I tried to really put on my "learning cap". I still can't believe how easy it was to work this game.

1. dead ball..tweet..(call subs in)..Chris, I've got 2 red subs coming in.
2. while he was lead made comments like.."straight up on the post".."in & out".. really helped communicate with players that he wanted a clean game. After listening to him, I realize that his tone is much different then my ordering tone.
3. He overall talked his way thru the game and I don't ever remember that many players, coaches and parents offer appreciation for the job we did as officials.

While I try to have alot of communication with my partners and with players, I am really going to use this experience to take it to the next level. I'm grateful to have had this opportunity to examine my skills and recognize things I can work on.
Chris,

Sounds like he communicated with you (his partner) beautifully. That is always a good thing.

I would caution you to avoid too much talking to players however. An occasional "talking through the whistle" might be appropriate, but if loses effectiveness if overdone.

Z