View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:28am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Player was standing funny?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Read NFHS rule 10-6-1, especially the part that says "a player shall not.... impede the progress of an opponent...by bending the body into any other than a normal position". In this case, if you feel that the screener is gaining an extra advantage by bending over and taking up more space than his normal screening stance would take, then call him on it if contact occurs. There's not really that much difference in the screener extending his butt backwards and his head/shoulders forwards instead of him extending an arm or leg sideways, is there? Contact outside the torso should still be called on the screener.
That'd be a tough call for me, JR.
When the posturing player "does not move at all to initiate any type of contact", and if the contact is initiated by an opponent, what happens to a player's right to a place on the floor?
I don't think I can call a foul on a player merely because he has not achieved or maintained a legal guarding position.

[eg, if an opponent is rising from the floor in an awkward position, a player (making contact with that rising opponent) will be called for intiating sufficient contact.]

mick