View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Thanks Guys,

Rut: Move is all right, right now I am picking up games here and there. They already have 2007 scheduled and are starting on 2008 here. Insane if you ask me. Also the AD's assign the games, no assignors.

I know this has been discussed before, but I don't recall reading a complete answer. How in the world do you schedule officials four years in advance? How do you handle retirements, injuries, or relocations to another part of the country?

They're other problems like business travel, family situations, etc. that can't be planned more than a month in advance. A third of our officials have less than four years experience. What do they do? Wait four years for their first game? Hope a senior official dies?

Furthermore, in order to schedule officials four years in advance, one must schedule games four years in advance. How does a new school join the club? Do they have to wait four years to play their first game. In my area, school districts shut down schools from time to time as the population ages. They don't give four years notice, either. We're lucky to get six months notice. If you were scheduled to play that school under your system, now you have a big hole in your schedule.