View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 05:15pm
In Memoriam

Re: Perhaps some reconsideration of your answers is needed...

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

However, Rule 1-13 "By state association adoption, the head coach may be off the bench in front of his/her seat with the confines of the coaching box to give instructions to his/her players and/or substitutes..."

Removal of that "coaching/instructional" priviledge due to a technical foul does not mean the coach cannot still be involved in the game ... such as asking questions of an official... and the other activities delineated in 10-5.

Personally, I would NOT tolerate trivial/petty questions that are intended to push the limits and see if he really could do a little more standing and coaching. Allowing that, would definitely be a slap in my partner's face. However, asking legitimate questions in a mature, professional manner should still be allowed. He/She is still a participant and has only lost his/her standing to coach priviledges. Questioning the lane violation may well be the petty question I would not allow. HTBT.

I'm sure someone will point me to case play or the appropriate rule if I am wrong...

Tony, I agree that asking legitimate questions in a mature, professional manner should still be allowed. But NOT if the coach is standing and asking those questions while play is going on. He has to ask them while sitting down. The head coach in the sitch being discussed has already lost that particular right because of his actions. He has to ask those nice, polite questions now while sitting on his butt. And he should already have been informed of that fact when he got his T and got seat-belted. If he gets up now, he's basically saying t'hell with his restrictions- they don't apply to him.

From the 2001/2002 rulebook (hasn't really changed ), Rule 10-5PENALTY--"When the coaching box is being utilized, then the first technical foul charged directly or indirectly to the head coach results in the loss of coaching-box privileges and the coach shall comply with the provisions of Articles 1 and 2 for the remainder of the game". Articles 1 and 2 of R10-5 lay out exactly and minutely what the head coach is now allowed to do. The head coach must remain seated except to call a TO, go to the scorers' table about a correctible error or a scoring/timing mistake, replace a disqualified player, confer with his players during a charged TO, attend an injured player when beckoned onto the court or rise to do a l'il bit of cheerleading(and then sit right back down). That's all he can do standing up now. Nothing else! The head coach CANNOT be on his feet to ask questions from any official after he's received a T, by rule. That's part of the penalty that the FED specifies, and it t'ain't up to us to change or amend that penalty.