View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The point to the seat belt rule is to get the coach to back off. If he backs off the abuse or the harrassment, that's backed far enough, although I wouldn't let him keep standing and standing. But if he's more or less staying seated, you're fine. Don't sweat the small stuff.
I disagree completely with that. Why would you even think of SKIPPING anything disciplinary or instructive in this particular case? That's not doing your job! And it sureashell isn't supporting your partner! Just the opposite- it's undermining your partner. The coach just got a T. He can't stand and ask ANY official questions now while the play is going on. That's the discipline, by rule, and it's that simple. You inform him of that, and also inform him that he can't stand to ask questions now as a result of his own actions in getting a T. That's the instructive part of the sitch, even though he should already have received that particular instruction when he first got his T. Iow, he already shoulda been told that his actions cost him the right to stand, and now he's just completely ignoring those instructions. You don't have to yell at the coach, and you certainly can tell the coach that you'll still answer any reasonable questions- but not while he's standing and play is going on. To do otherwise sureashell IS making your partner look bad, imo. What does your partner do now when he goes by that bench, and the coach that he just T'd up is standing on the sideline now and asking him questions? You just let the coach get away with that exact same act, didn't you? You're sure putting a lotta pressure on your partner now, and in a 3-person crew it would be even worse. It makes your partner look like the bad guy, while you're making yourself look like the good guy at the same time. Wrong message being sent!
I see your point. Perhaps I haven't done enough varsity yet. At the lower levels, and at lower quality varsity games, in this situation, if the coach stands asks a polite question for information, and then sits back down again -- even during play -- I'm giving him a two or three word answer, and going on with the game. If he does it every time down the floor, I get more "instructive." If his question or comment is even remotely confrontational, he's gone. This is how I've been told repeatedly to handle this. The theory is that if the coach has calmed down and is less hostile now, you've re-gained control and allowing polite, brief, infrequent, information only questions gives both partners the reward for handling the situation well.