View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

The play is legal.

I wanted to comment on the part of some of the statements that says: "the ball never crossed the line". The fact that the ball never crossed the line has no effect on the play. If the ball is passed or carried beyond the LOS and then returned it can be passed again from behind the line. All ineligbles have the same restrictions on a multiple pass down as a single pass down. Those restrictions end with the last pass of the down the same way as a single pass..

Years ago, in our area, a very good team was going to follow a screen pass with a downfield pass to the original passer. The first receiver blew the play and went downfield , the passer threw to him, he caught it realizing he was beyond the LOS returned behind the LOS and threw a TD pass to the original passer. Flipper Anderson, later a wide receiver for the LA RAMS was one of the two players involved in the play.

The next week I was the Umpire in their game. The coach answered no trick plays when asked by the Referee. I asked about "the play from last week" and he told me it was an accident.