View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Wow! What a can of worms...

4th & 5th Grade Intramurals... This is an extremely INFORMAL setting. SO informal that we do NOT wear the Stripes. It is organized and run by the Education staff of this small school. In fact the set-up is the first 45 minutes are coach and player time, followed by the "game"; two 20-minute halves (continuous clock.)

As indicated in my orignal post and supported by several others, this is an opportunity for young players to participate on a team and learn about basketball. Many of the participants will not play on, at higher levels. I "stand by" my original posting, this is a learning environment... The "deer-in-the-headlights" look will always get at least an verbal acknowledgement of "You travelled. You gotta start your dribble first." , etc....

JRUT - I am saddened that you have had negative experiences with coaches and parents. I have done this league for 2 yrs and have not had any negative situations.. On the contrary, many appreciative parents have thanked me for being "so good with the kids."

As for anything other than intramurals, you are right, I will not get into a "disertation" about the rules... I do not expect you to "coach" the team/player. That is why they have a coach and practice. Nonetheless, I am confident that you do well in the "Preventative officiating."

Enjoy...