Thread: Off ball calls.
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Last week I went to camp and we learned about some of the new rules and editoral revisions. One of the deals with off ball calls. The statement from the NFHS says that they clarified that continous motion applies to the shooter when any defensive player fouls any offensive player. Now, I am not likeing the rule or not fully understanding. In looking at it on film, we missed it. I felt good about it on the floor though. Here is the play. B2 fouls a2 near a1. As the T, I take my eyes off a1 as the foul happens and blow the whistle. Everyone starts yelling about the shot. Since the off ball call is near the center of the court, C also has a call so I let him take it. Before I let him report I ask if he saw the shot. He said no. He reports. I then go ask L if he saw the shot and he said he did. I then ask if he had shot the ball before the foul. He said he was in the act of shooting so I go ahead and flush the basket. Looking at it on film, The foul happens well before the shot. But the whistles blow, while A1 is in the act. Right, wrong, or just glad it happened at camp and not in a game to decide a district championship?