View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
I agreed that his arguement was flawed and it was a pointless discussion. But the point you brought up made me think about where the ball is placed. He made the point that distances might not be what they seem to be. No, the field isn't 99 8/9 yards long but trys might be 3 yards 2 inches long and drives after touchbacks 80 yards 2 inches long. [/B]
Back to a sport of some sort. . . .

That's why, when I spot the ball for a point after, I like it when there is no line. Then it's three strides, halt, and place the point of the ball at my toe. I then make sure that there's more yardage from the ball to the end zone than from the ball to the 5-yard line. If true, then nothing more needs to be done. If I'm on a youth field where yard lines are a luxury and they only come every 10 yards (if you squint really hard!), then I just put the ball down and shrug. LOL!!

But it is interesting that as officials, we usually cheat the offense out of two inches. But really, what does it matter for most of the game? And will THOSE two inches make a difference when measurements are usually avoided by most crews?

Hmm... now for the philosophical debate on the meaning of two inches in football.

Lemme digress: I once called the ball down 2 inches from the end zone. It was really too bad he couldn't keep his legs straight as he fell, because it mattered. The next week (and the week after) I made two calls where the runners kept their legs straight and let their momentum give them the umph while they relied on their cleats and ankles to hold the line. They were both in the end zone by hairs before they hit the ground--I called touchdown. But I guess that's a moot point--unless you're the defensive coach with the bad angle. Or that darned guy sitting in the bleachers behind him. . . .

-Craig