View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Clean Slate

Starting every game with a clean slate is not easy to do. Once you and a coach have established a "relationship," it is very difficult to go back to that clean slate/first impression state of the relationship. In fact, it is impossible.

I personally do my best to forget what has gone on in the past; those activities are still there on the fringe. What I am able to do is to re-establish what my boundaries/limits are going to be - I can clear that slate. Where a coach may have gotten away with something in the past, I can move that limit up and enforce it earlier than last time we met. Don't let yourself become embarrassed; don't let things get out-of-hand.

Clear your mind as much as possible. Do not enter any game with animosity towards the coach or any player. Recognize what happened last time and set the appropriate limits to protect yourself and keep the game moving. Shake hands, wish them well, smile, make each call stand on its own merits.