View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 08:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Now I pull out the good ole "white book", and look down in 6.3.4 and see that situation 4 outlines an illegal forward pass . Which is what occured here.

The penalty for this would be a loss of 10 yards and DR. I would think that the distance would be applied at the PLS, but am not quite sure of that.

Tom did really well this year, I had hoped to go see a few of his games, but only managed to make it to one.
I think I may have tricked you.

The rules to have nearby are 6.3.3.1 and 6.3.4.4.

6.3.3.1 says that a general occurance of an offside pass is when an A player makes an offside pass after he has crossed the LS.

6.3.4.4 says that an offside pass does not occur when, on a scrimmage play, A player crosses the LS and throws what is obviously intended to be a forward pass, and is ruled to be an illegal forward pass. Therefore, if the motion is not obvious to be a forward pass, it must be flagged for an offside pass.

The catch phrase in my original text was "...pitches it to a teammate just as a defender approaches him...". In this case, the passer just executed the option (pitch) to his teammate as the B player had committed to the passer. The pass was offside, likely because it was not executed properly.

This is one of the rules where we do have to do our best to know what the intent of the player is. (There's the old adage that we can't read player's minds, and therefore don't know their intent in some cases.) I feel his intent was to lateral the ball to his teammate to avoid being tackled once the B player was committed to the passer.

I had the 3 other guys on my crew try to tell me that it should have been an illlegal forward pass. When I showed them those two passages in the white book after the game and in the dressing room, they agreed with me.

I mention it because I was raked over the coals 4 years ago doing an OV game. I never forgot that learning moment.

So anyways, what else was cool was that this happened after the 3MW. The player was tackled inbounds. When does the clock start?

So, yes, your original message was correct. The NLS is the A-41, and YG, so it's 1D/10.

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Sep 4th, 2004 at 09:30 PM]