View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

This is an excellent question that had little response.

The issue was a heated discussion elsewhere regarding this advantageous 4th out obtained at 1st base (or obtained as a force out) as opposed to a missed base or a base left early (or not retouched) on a caught fly. Carl obtained a recent PBUC ruling different from what most seemed to think it would be. I think the ruling surprised many.

Now, the question is, SHOULD this BR be called out and the run negated based on Fed Rules? I would look at the Penalty as shown for Fed 8-2-(1 thru 5) which states:

PENALTY (ARTICLE 1-5): For failure to touch base (advancing or returning), or failure to tag up as soon as the ball is touched on a caught fly ball, the runner is out. This is a delayed penalty if not played upon by the defense during same playing action (live ball). After all playing action has ended, the umpire will indicate time-out to call runners out. During playing action, the runner is out if, before returning to each untouched base, the runner is touched by the ball in the hand of a fielder, or the ball is held by a fielder on that missed base (including home plate). In this instance, the out would be called immediately before time is called.

If we now jump to Fed rule 9-1-1 regarding scoring:

SECTION 1 HOW A TEAM SCORES
ARTICLE 1. A runner scores one run each time he legally advances to and touches first, second, third and then home
plate before there are three outs to end the inning.
EXCEPTIONS: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home plate during action in which the third out is
made as follows:
a. by the batter-runner before he touches first base; or
b. by another runner being forced out; or
d. when a third out is declared during a play in which an umpire observed a base-running infraction resulting in
a force-out (this out takes precedence if enforcement of it would negate a score); or
e. when there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, the defensive team
may select the out which is to its advantage as in 2-20-2. Credit the putout to the nearest designated
baseman. EXAMPLE: If second base is involved, credit the second baseman with the putout.

Although I would like to agree with Carl's response in actuality an practicality, I would still question if, indeed, it is per the rules as printed (black vs. white). The BR failed to make it safely to 1st base. Therefore, it would appear that by the rules the official should declare the 4th out and negate the run.

We can also look at JJ's initial post and his final question:
Count the run? Or go for the 4th out at first because the BR never touched first, and nullify the run? I can't ignore that in FED, can I? Or can I? And how do I justify what my ruling is?

You justify not calling it and not negating the run by realizing:
---the Fed has never made a specific ruling regarding the situation
---likely less than 1% of umpires and far less percentage of players and fans would know the proper ruling
---for the one time in 10 years this play is likely to occur you can sneak by with no one knowing differently

At least that will be the excuse I will use when I fail call it. I think Carl in his response provided the answer that will help you survive on the field, even if that answer is not necessarily by the rules. I agree with Carl.

Just my opinion,

Steve

[Edited by Bfair on Mar 22nd, 2001 at 09:48 AM]