Thread: Time called?
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert G
I do LL games age 11& 12. A parent asked me before my game a situation that happened the night before.R1 on 1st, B1 steps out as catcher cleans off the dish. PU raises his left hand, does not say time as F1 fires to 1st & R1 is picked off. Coach says he should not be out because PU raised his hand. Pu lets out stand & says he did not call time. What's your call?
Also... runner is advancind to 3rd on a hit, as he slides he does not touch the base & the throw is late. Do I call him safe or do I remain silent?
Thanks Rober G
The umpire raising his hand to indicate "Do not pitch" is the same as calling "Time". But the first question is whether or not this "steal" would be legal in Little League baseball. 7.13 of the Little League playing rules prohibits the base runner from leaving the base "When a pitcher is in contact with the pitcher's plate and in possession of the ball and the catcher is in the catcher's box ready to receive delivery of the ball..." I would assume the catcher was initially "ready" and then decided the plate was not half as clean as his bedroom.

The second comment concerns cleaning the plate. I happen to be a guy who wears out his plate brush. I think a clean plate looks good and gives the pitcher a target. I also think it is far more efficient then the soul of the shoe. However, whenever possible this should be attempted when the ball is dead such as after a foul ball. I also make it a point in those situations with a runner on third base to call "Time" if it isn't already in effect. Time is not "assumed" when the umpire or catcher cleans the plate.

[Edited by Ump20 on Mar 21st, 2001 at 11:12 PM]