Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
If the ball is going to be thrown in below FT line extended. The lead should administer the throw-in. Trail should not be bouncing the ball 20 plus ft on a throw-in. Let lead do it.

Personally I dont like the switch. If ball goes OOB on trail's side below FT line... Lead steps over and administers, Trail can step to other side of the floor (if he has to). Personally this is a perfect opportunity for both officials to administer using strong side mechanics, having both officials on same side of floor for the inbounds play that will be on that side.
Kelvin,
Adding that mechanic puts a little crimp in the approved mechanics, I think. [Of course, that is a proper mechanic for three-whistle Women's ball.]
But in NFHS 2-whistle, if the Lead goes strong-side to administer the sideline, then the Lead owns that sideline (ie, Officials administer only their lines.)
The opposite sideline must then be the responsibility of the Trail, and a cross court throw-in to the opposite corner can find the Trail in a most awkward position to view a toe on the arc, or a tipped pass.

And, too, with the Trail administering deep, a 10'-15' bounce pass should give sufficient distance for the Trail to retreat. (Shucks, a typical bounce to a free-thrower is 15'-18'.)

mick

Mick i am confused... My first statement was not much different than yours...

Lead goes over across the paint...He owns the new sideline
Trail steps to other side of floor... he now gets the other sideline...That is consistent with the mechanics book on normal positioning. Instead of trail stepping down to administer and "switch" with lead, we are just swapping sides of court.

There is no place in the federation book that states that one sideline belongs to a particular official. It is dependednt on who is on which side...(and balancing the floor)

If trail is administering sideline down low what do you do when there is pressure or something stupid happens? That is why I advocate lead taking it. If ball is near FT line extended or above Trail can take it. But if it is closer to the endline lead needs to officiate this.

Ball is being inbounded at about 3 ft above baseline and there is a problem (pressure from defense, not holding spot, etc) Trail administers and begins to back up and is someplace near the top of the key to 28' mark when this problem occurrs. Trail is now some 20ft away to call it. If administered by lead he is only 3 or 4 feet away.

The strong side mechanic I mentioed... I was only stating a personal preference based on NBA two man. I was not advocating with NF. 75% of the time we can even get a guy to go strong side in NF games even when the two low post players are beating each other up...

My two cents

"If the ball is going to be thrown in below FT line extended. The lead should administer the throw-in. Trail should not be bouncing the ball 20 plus ft on a throw-in. Let lead do it." - Kelvin

I understand, Kelvin.
Now if you would have said "the New Lead (because of a switch) should administer the ball", then we have maintained the sideline of responsibility [Trail/New Lead] and not added any mechanics.

{A couple of us regularly work strong-side, two-man.
If during a strong-side scenario, the ball goes low and out-of-bounds, the Trail may merely point to the spot, give up his sideline and initiate the switch horizontally. (I think you and I would do that quite automatically, based on your last post.)
}

My original question was not based on a strong-side scenario, but rather on a standard boxing in situation where the Lead and Trail may prefer to switch vertically [creating New Lead and New Trail] or may not switch at all. In either of these scenarios, the Trail/New Lead holds his line and the responsibility of the throw-in administration on that line.

mick