View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I prefer to have the Trail administer in both 2-person and 3-person.

1) It's the correct way according to the NFHS officials manual.

2) It allows the lead to be concerned with play in his/her primary (which is where the most competitive matchups will likely be) with no thrower responsibilities.

Z
It's NOT the correct way per NFHS - unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.

An official should take the inbound play on the line for which you are responsible. And if the throw-in is below the free throw line extended, the officials may need to switch.

I don't have a new book with me, but in the 2001-2003 NFHS Official's Manual, Diagram 22 explains this.

2-man: Ball out-of-bounds on the trail's sideline below the free throw line - Trail should move to the endline and become the new Lead while the Lead moves out onto the court and becomes the new Trail.

Good communication with your partner will get you into the right position. I've worked with some that were ready and implemented this position switch quickly and seamlessly. I've worked with others that insisted upon switching from one side of the court to the other so that the Trail would remain the Trail and Lead the Lead.

3-man changes everything. Lead just comes to the strong side where the ball is being inbounded and likely will take the inbounds play below the free throw line; Center backs out to become Trail. Previous Trail drops down to become new Center.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Aug 30th, 2004 at 06:17 PM]