View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
LJ, Last night I had an interception coming back towards my sideline. The kid ran it from the goal line to about the opposite 40. In the middle of the runback I'm running down the sideline, actually about 2-3 yards inbounds; I have to move about 5 yards out of the way so I don't run into a group of about 3-4 coaches. They were a little mad, until I told them that that was their warning (didn't want the coaches making that bit of difference) After that I had about 4 extra get back coaches!
If you scare them, even if it isn't really costing the team anything, they usually get the point real quick. good article.

BigGref,

Like you said, the warning got their attention and was very effective and it didn't cost the team anything. Keeping the sidelines safe (for the officials) and well-managed, is its purpose.

Sometimes having a non-coach, can be effective. Some coaches have a tendency to get so involved with coaching and neglect their "Get-Back" duties. During a game, the "Get-Back" coach, was told to, Get-Back!.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Excellent article.

The biggest problem with sideline clean-up is the leverage the coaches have over officials. Having worked a number of years in NY (Long Island) the coaches boxes have expanded well onto the field. I did spend one season in northern California and it was amazing how the coaches did not try to enter the field.

There was one basic difference. In California the coaches did not rate the officials. In NY the coaches do.

Go figure!

Ed,

California doesn't have a state official's association, in our section alone there are six associations each with their own procedures. Our section, is one of ten.

[Edited by Green on Aug 29th, 2004 at 07:04 PM]