View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Anyone see the last inning of that game?

Now, does anyone other than myself believe the Chinese runner was obstructed by the USA first baseman?

Even in real time, it looked like F3 literally looked to the spot she planted her left foot to block the runner and then turned to catch the throw from CF for the back end of a double play. To me, it looked like the runner's shoulder udoubtedly made contact prior to F3 catching the throw.

I don't believe it would have made a difference in the game, but.....

Mike,
I finally got around to watching my tape of the game. While at regular speed I couldn't tell if it was OBS (probably because of the camera angle), after watching the replay it was very clear to me that it was OBS. F3 was set up with her right foot on the back third of the base and her left foot set back so as to block the runners path to the base. The runner even tried to alter her path (althought slightly) back to the base. The runners shoulder hit F3's leg before she had posession and because of the block the runners hand could not reach the base. She was stopped short before she was tagged. Clearly obstruction to me. The umpire had good position and should have been able to see what we saw. While I think the crews did a good job I think they may have been a little tentative on these type of calls.