Old Wed Aug 25, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I think that a future rule change should allow a penalty of 3 shots for any technical foul which interferes with a 3-point attempt.
End of game situation like this, more than 3 FTAs are needed. A 70% free throw shooter is going hit 3 of 3 only 34% of the time.
Well...not quite, but this is close to what they teach in statistics 101.

If you're in Honesdale over the weekend Chuck will be happy to buy you a diet coke and I'll bore you with my explanation.
Feel free to explain here.

I will say that I've seen a team down by three in the last three seconds of game shooting three shots exactly (yep, you guessed it) three times in my career and (of course) three of them made three of three.

One was in OT of a state final, and the kid who was something like a 60%er made three with NO time on the clock and his team won it in double OT. Unreal.

Another was my team, when I was an assistant. We had a 55% shooter hit three of three with :03 left in regulation as we came back from 18 down with 5:45 left. We won on a double OT buzzer beater by a freshman who was only in because four others had fouled out. The girl who made the three-of-three only missed one more FT all year and finished at 67%.

The last was as a head coach, we fouled a three-point shooter with :01 left up by three. (Ugh.) She hit them all but we won in overtime.