View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 07:53pm

David, I'll answer it for Garth and all of us.

On the first day of Pro School, one of the instructors asked us, "How many of you play or coach baseball?" Every hand went up. He responded, "Players, forget everything you know, it will cloud your judgement. Coaches, I'll talk slow." w eall laughed but it rings true. While a cursory knowledge of the game will greatly assist us, much more and we anticipate, not react. The best coaches think strategy 24-7. That is not a good thing when you are doing this job. Second guessing decisions or applauding a terrific strategy is acceptable if you are in the stands or dugout. Also, being an active coach while officiating puts you in a precarious spot. The coaching and umpiring communities are rather small - you are certain to cross paths with a nemesis eventually. Will he begrudge you because of a bad call? Will you challenge a call because you would have hustled more or been in a better position to make the call? Will the official that was your partner now treat you like a pal when he is behind the dish?

In my hometown, the local baseball organization requires every coach/manager to umpire one game outside of their division. The thinking is that they will gain a new respect for the job and appreciate the skill it entails. Inevitably, a protest results from one of their games each year. I have been asked to resolve these issues and it is always ugly. I always suggest that they stop the practice, before someone gets hurt.

Finally, what's the old adage? Can't play anymore? Coach
Aren't smart enough to coach? Umpire

I always liked that one.