View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 08:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
MTD, your scenario works fine if you see the player coming onto the court. In fact, if you see it quick enough, you can blow the whistle for the illegal entry before the shot is taken; in which case A gets two shots and the ball with a few seconds left. Remember, as has been mentioned, this is the 2nd half, so B6 has to cross the midcourt line to interfere with a decent 3 point attempt.

A) If the officials don't catch the 6th player thing until after the "block," I am getting them for an illegal entry and playing with 6. Bottom line, I'm finding a way to get A four free throws if there isn't time on the clock.

I think most coaches would prefer their best shooter get 4 free throws than a three point shot anyway.

B) If I see B6 running onto the court, and blow the whistle and he's blocking the shot as time expires (no one heard the whistle), I'm getting him for illegal entry and dead ball contact technical fouls. Four shots.

And trust me, I would see contact on this play.
Option (A) sounds good to me. The punishment pretty much fits the crime, and the goof that gave you the headaches is gone also with the 2 "T"s. A "T" on the bench player for illegal entry followed by another "T" on the same player for the unsporting act covers it, and can also be justified by rule. As for catching the player as soon as he comes on the floor, I don't think that that is really a major concern. There's a FED case play and an NCAA approved ruling (I think) that allows you to delay calling a "T" on the defensive coach to let the other team complete a scoring chance. I think that the same principle would apply here. Delay calling the first "T" until the scoring chance is over, but call the 2nd "T" immediately as soon as the scoring chance is interfered with.