View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone noticed the change in rule 5.1.2b? There was nothing mentioned in the front of the book with the other changes. It used to say "After a fourth down, a new series of downs shall be awarded only after considering the effect of any act during the down, other than a nonplayer or unsportsmanlike foul."

In 2004 it says..."After a fourth down, a new series of downs shall be awarded only after considering the effect of any act during the down."

This has to be a misprint. This would mean that all live-ball nonplayer and USC calls could put the ball beyond the LTG AND have A remain with the ball for a first down. The case book however 5.1.2(situation e and comment) - page 38 has the ruling that is consistent with the old wording.

I happened to stumble upon this because I'm looking for the rule that supported the following situation.....

I believe that if an B player enters during a 4th down play and doesn't affect the play AND team A falls 2 yards short of the LTG, then I believe B still gets the ball after penalizing the 5-yard nonplayer illegal sub foul from the succeding spot (vs. giving A a first down).