View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

I believe Mr. Kellerumps feels pointing to the side "looks really bad" because it usually involves turning the head as well. Here's an example of what could happen if the PU turns the head and points.

1. Delayed steal by runner between first and second or second and third...run down...BU is hung out to dry by PU because he's busy dancing around "shooting the gun" behind the plate. (yes I know they use four person mechanics, so it wouldn't really matter in this game, but I'm sure PU doesn't just turn sideways and point when in four person mechanics)

2. Delayed steal of home, PU is doing his John Wayne, then close play at plate and he doesn' know what is going on. (Then again, from the LL umpires I've worked with, he wouldn't be in any type of position to see it anyway).

3. Assuming we have an oversensitive coach, he/she could construe the point (especially if eye contact is made) as taunting.

These may sound trivial and once-in-a-lifetime but they have all happened in games when I was BU for Little League, with Little League umpires.

At least around here, they don't do a lot of training of LL umpires.

One local guy worked LL softball world series last year, and to be honest, I wouldn't call a game with him unless I had to...very quick on calls, doesn't move much, acts like a dictator on the diamond, etc. Our HS association scheduler only works him on varsity games if on of (his words) "the elite umpires in the association" are working with him.

Just food for thought!

BTW, Mr. and Mrs. Kellerumps are excellent umpires. I've worked with hundreds and hundreds, maybe even thousands of umpires over my 12 years in this game, and I would place them in my top 5 of partners I'd work with any time, anywhere. BTW2, there are no LL umpires in my top 50.