View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Angry If you have their manual then you already know!

Quote:
Originally posted by rex
Carl was kind enough to point out they were instructors at the Brinkman School before the Evans school bought out Brinkman. But that doesn’t tell me who they are.
Chris Jaksa and Rick Roder were MORE than simply instructors at the Brinkman school. The were evidently the head and assistant rules interpretors for that school. They produced the manual you have as a training aid for the umpire trainees at that school. Many of the current MLB umpires would have been trained using their manual.

The interpretations in their manual are NOT "official" interpretations. They are considered authoritative opinion only. In other words, the official interpretations of the PBUC, those of Messrs Deary and Bremigan and those MLB professional interpretations reported by Evans in the JEA would all take precedence. The balance of the JEA is also considered only authoritative opinion. The fact that neither Chris Jaksa nor Rick Roder is a currently serving official in a professional league is irrelevant. Neither is Jim Evans a currently serving official and no-one is seriously disputing the value of his Official Baseball Rules Annotated as the result. I would suggest that many of the "official" interpretations of Barney Deary and Nick Bremigan would also hold currency despite the fact that neither gentleman is listed as a currently serving professional official.

Rex your question appears both rude and ill-intentioned, especially considering the fact that the Preface to the very J/R manual that you openly admit to having gives a comprehensive overview of how the manual evolved and what purpose it was to be used for. I quote the following from that source:

"Discussion and consensus among colleagues, particularly the staff of the Joe Brinkman Umpire School, concerning certain appropriate interpretations, has contributed. This staff has sought coordination and consistency with the interpretation directives of the Umpire Development Program. The authors have also employed narration of generally recognized 'de facto' rules that have evolved over years of professional umpiring. Within light of these considerations, any contention that the authors have arbitrarily altered baseball's rules must be dismissed as wholly incorrect. [...]

In every session of the Brinkman school since 1988, precursory texts were the exclusive guides used during all classroom lectures. The authors and staff were strongly encouraged to pursue this project by the hearty endorsement of the students for whom it had been initiated.
"

Who are Chris Jaksa and Rick Roder? I suggest that this question is wholly rhetorical as you already have the means to KNOW the answer.

Cheers,