View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: My Soap Box

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
My two cents worth (I am on my soap box)!

I really dislike the phrase, "You could call holding on every play". I, myself, have been guilty of saying this after watching teams with poor execution play. However, I disagree with the statement in general. I've seen enough really good teams that don't typically hold (not even a technical infraction) that I wonder where this phrase originated. I feel it is a sweeping generalization officials overuse.

Mike,

The thing is, you probably could with the technics used and taught.... ...but if officials call "technical holds" you could reasonably call it on every play. That is why I think the comment is common.

Peace
I fully agree with common sense officiating and not flagging every holding we see. Point of attack, etc.

But this is where I disagree with the statement. I've called games where I didn't see a player holding all night long (literally not even a technical infraction). There are teams that DON'T teach holding and block very well. We all get those, "He's holding me!" complaints but in some of the games I've worked, nobody has approached me and I haven't seen it.

The phrase maybe common, but I assert it is incorrect. Too many officials rely upon that statement as a crutch to defuse an agry coach. Too many coaches rely upon this phrase as an excuse for teaching players to hold.

My two cents worth and I get two cents back

[Edited by mikesears on Aug 17th, 2004 at 02:01 PM]