Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I look at it this way.

If the ball and the BR arrive at about the same time and the BR foot misses first base, call him out immediately. If the runner is clearly past first I would do nothing and wait for an appeal or runner to touch first, then make the call, one way or the other.
My thinking on this is if the runner had rounded first and went to second, it is obvious he is safe at first, unless by the appeal. With a "banger" at the bag, it is easier to sell it. If the coach comes out and argues, you look him dead in the eye and say "Coach, your runner has still yet to touch first base" That would, more than likely, end the arguement right there.
The major problems with giving no indication of whether the runner is safe or out is: 1. It tips off the defense, which is not our job and 2. It is, in essence against the rules, that imply that a runner is considered to have touched a missed base for appeal purposes. Federation appeal rules although new , give a clearer discussion of this. Still, just as you have outs and safes in baseball, you also have appeals for base running infractions , which although YOU may not like it, are still part of the game.
If the runner is already pass the bag, even if he touches the bag it is not out of the norm to not signal anything. Thinking being the whole park "knows" he is safe, no need to signal. So by not signalling then it really is not tipping off the defense. Now if you stand there looking at F3 instead of heading to the B position then THAT could tip off the defense.
And I won't disagree with what your saying but I thought you clarifed what happen at first by stating that "the ball and the BR arrive about the same time". Therefore I commented about a time frame that you established.